Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Enjoying the fighting...

I seem to find lately that our children are fighting, a lot! They fight over who was playing with the toy first, they fight over which movie to watch, they fight over who gets their hair washed first, they fight over which one of us gets to put them to bed, they fight over Everything, and I must say that i'm enjoying watching them fight. I know that sounds so strange, even in my head it sounds strange, but it's interesting, exciting, and just plain adorable for me to watch them fight.
I think I just enjoy seeing them interact. When Emma was first born, Miller completely ignored her, COMPLETELY! She was not even worthy of his time or much less his attention. As she got older and more specifically mobile he began to, I'm sure out of necessity, recognize that she was around, she was moving, and she was now able to play with his toys and crawl towards his Mommie. He kind of lived in peace with her for the most part, as long as she didn't mess with his stuff, he didn't really mind having her around. Then a few months ago they began to play together. This was the most adorable sight I had ever seen, my babies were playing together. Well recently we've added fighting to the playing. They will play for a little bit then it turns to fighting. I'm not quite sure what to do about it and honestly I'm enjoying seeing them "fight." They are really expressing themselves to each other, not in a physical way - most of the time ;) But in a learning way. They are learning how to live in the same house, play with the same toys, have the same parents, and enjoy playing with each other. It's really showing me how mature they are becoming by how they are able to work out the differences on their own. Now, occasionally I do have to break them up.. we can't have much physical fighting. But, most of them time, I just set back and watch and it amazes me how they are able to work it out on their own. They don't need my help and honestly I'm not sure how to help. I am an only child and the closest thing I can come to understanding what they are going through is my dorm room days at Appalachian. I know it's not the same, but it was difficult to learn to live with someone in a very small space, share the same household items, and always get along. We had our ups and downs and learned valuable lessons for the future of how to get along and I guess that's what the kids are doing too. They are learning lessons that they will use all their life, how to work out differences in opinion in a loving manner... or at least that's what we're attempting to do.

So for now, as crazy as it sounds, I'm enjoying watching my sweet babies "fight" and watching as they learn some hopefully valuable lessons for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment